Can you think about the state of your mind, what happens if you sign in to your Google Analytics account and view that your Google Ranking drops dramatically? Your business website is not at all visible in top 10 rankings on search engines like Google and not even, top 100? What feeling you would have then? It’s the worst nightmare situation that you have ever dealt with. You need to admit that it is very important to handle this situation and recover your Google Ranking.
Have a look at the top 6 things that you should focus on, for checking Google ranking drop and its recovery-
- Check if your web page is indexed or not- The first thing on which you need to focus is to check the indexing of the page. Sometimes, the web developer might tag a web page as non-index that is a big hurdle in improving and maintaining Google ranking. Usually, they mark pages as non-index and left robots meta tags on website pages while working on web pages from a developing stage to a production stage. When a page is marked as non-indexed, it reveals to Google to don’t index that specific web page on the search engine.
What to Do? It is suggested to check the coding structure. If you find that your page is termed as “non-index”, ask web developers to remove and change the SEO plugin settings, and switch it to “Yes” for updating the page. Another way is to re-index that page on Google Search Console.
- Check New Website Updates- It is another top factor for Google ranking drop. When many changes and migration of web pages are completed, it is quite common to see a huge fluctuation in Google ranking. New website updates bring a major change in your search engine optimization process and once, the ranking dropped completely; it would not come back to the earlier stage.
What to do? You should first ask the developer’s team about the changes on the website. You need to manage your SEO activities and plan your further strategies accordingly. Using an excellent SEO monitoring tool like SEMrush, you can identify the value and relevance of ranking to your leading business.
- Website Design without 301/404 Redirects- Many times, you forget about the migration of the website to a new domain, and thus, refreshing of web pages, and redesigning without 301/404 redirects. In case, you have changed the URL of any web page or post on your own, it may drop Google ranking. As Google will find it like a brand new page and start showing ranking from zero onwards.
What to do? The best suggestion is to never alter any of the pages’ URLs. Also, it is suggested to implement 301/404 redirect in the right manner. For a WordPress based website, you are allowed to use the premium version of the Yoast SEO plugin or free Redirection. Once you are redirected properly, you must see your Google rankings recover.
- Determine Content Alteration and Relevance- For search engine optimization, content is the king. Top search engines like Google utilize content to determine its relevancy for proper search queries. Hence, when content is altered on a website, it leaves a huge impact on the Google ranking and the ranking drops instantly.
What to do? Check what changes have been done on the content part. You need to focus on title tags, meta description, heading, sub-headings, body content, and so on. Any smallest change on any one of these can bring a dramatic change in Google ranking. Although, checking content is a time-consuming process yet significant.
- Verify Blocking Googlebot- When a GoogleBot is blocked, web pages are blocked automatically from Google. However, the web page will show in the search results on Google but it won’t rank. When Google finds out about this issue, you will be notified.
What to do? First, check how many web pages have been blocked on your website with the help of the URL Inspection Tool. You are allowed to use the test live URL feature in Google Search Console. You need to fill in a URL and hit the “test live URL” button there, if you find that the process fails, it means Google’s IPs might be blocked. Another way is to use the Rich Snippet tester. This helps in requesting a URL on your website and check if that works.
- Google Algorithm Update- It is quite difficult to authenticate that your Google ranking shifts are the outcome of Google algorithm update. Google comes with 1000+ updates yearly and gives acknowledgment of implementation rarely. Almost with every update, the Google rank factor changes, and thus, Google’s ranking drops a lot.
What to do? Without the information of Google algorithm update, you will be in the dark. You need to check Google algorithm update frequently and make your SEO plan accordingly. You are advised to check what is trending in the market in terms of search engine optimization.
The bottom line is, Google ranking rise and drop is an on-going process in the world of search engine optimization. You need to follow a systematic and standard methodology for getting more results and attracting viewers to your website. You must investigate the right raking drop reason in the right direction. You should monitor technical and non-technical changes on your website on a weekly or monthly basis.
For more exciting blog updates, stay in touch…